Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Old News

I couldn't think of anything exciting to talk about, so I will post now-moldy, outdated commentary on two topics that you've surely read elsewhere. My justification: this is a convenient time capsule, and how else will I remember what were clearly the most pressing issues of yesterday?

1) The Logo.
I'm clearly not the only person who thinks that the 2012 London Olympics logo is probably the ugliest large-scale event logo in the industry of graphic design. In the HISTORY of the industry of graphic design. What the heezy were they thinking?

What'll be next? Posters made out of broken window shards to match?


2) The Hypothesis.

I refer, of course, to this social study released a few weeks ago.

What it says: Hanging out with fat people will make you fat.
What I think: Well, it's true.

Don't beat me up. That's a super-crude way to put it and I promise I won't do it again. But I really do think it's obvious: put in the simplest terms, if you spend most of your time in a house with a pantry full of junk food, and rooms full of people who have no qualms eating it, you'll be packing on the poundage in no time. (Yeah, I know. That's unfair and not too many obese people can actually help it. I speak generally for my argument.) And, sillies, of course it works in the reverse. What do you think the adolescent experience for the teenage girl IS? If you chill with a bunch of supermodels, you're bound to throw up a few meals here and there.

Isn't that pretty much true of everything? Peer pressure plays a much bigger role in life than anyone would like to admit.

That said, let's not get carried away. Don't dump all your plump pals to stay skinny; it'll just make the world a worse and more judgmental place. If people cared that much, they'd realize they were susceptible and just deal. Insert appropriate finger-wagging here.

No comments: